Adults 65 years or older, or those with a physical disability can apply for windrow snow clearing this winter. Apply online or in-person by November 12, 2021.
A windrow is the pile of snow left at the bottom of a driveway after a plow clears the road. The City offers a driveway windrow clearing program for residents 65 years and older, and for persons with disabilities.
The program is available to 300 participants on a first come, first serve basis. The program costs $200, but is free for residents who meet financial assistance criteria.
The program does not clear your entire driveway. Only the windrow at the end of the driveway is cleared.
Who is eligible
In order to qualify, you must:
- Be a resident of Mississauga
- Be 65 years or older in 2021, or someone who is physically disabled as verified by a regulated health professional
- Not have a person without a physical disability living at the same residence
To qualify for the free program, the total net income of your household must be below the Statistics Canada low income cut-offs.
Only one person per address is eligible for this program. Residents who live on a private road, in a high-rise multi-unit building, condominium or within a commercial property are not eligible to apply.
How to apply
You can apply for the driveway windrow snow clearing program online or in person between September 9, 2021 and November 12, 2021.
To apply online, complete the following form:
You’ll need to upload a photo or scan of one of the following documents when you apply:
- Either proof of your age, such as a birth certificate, driver’s licence or passport
- Or proof of your disability. This could be a health assessment, accessible parking permit, or TransHelp acceptance letter.
If you’re applying for the free program, you’ll also need to provide documents that show the total net income or earnings for your entire household.
One of the following forms will be accepted:
- Notice of Assessment form (T451) from the Canada Revenue Agency
- Ontario Disabilities Support Program (ODSP) drug benefit eligibility card
- Ontario Works drug / dental benefit eligibility card
- Ontario Sales Tax Benefit form or Ontario Trillium Benefit form
- Canada Child Tax Benefit notice
- Harmonized Sales Tax Credit notice
Apply in person
You can also apply in person, with the required forms and documents:
Required forms and documents
If you have any questions about the windrow program, please call 311 (905-615-4311 outside City limits).
If you need more information or help with your application, please call the Recreation Customer Service Centre at 905-615-4100 and select option 1 or email email@example.com.