- Energy in Action Innovation Award: Best Municipality/University/School/Hospital Customer (1 MW+) within the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area – awarded by Ontario’s leading electric and gas companies: Alectra Utilities, Enbridge, Hydro One, Oakville Hydro, Toronto Hydro and Union Gas
- The award recognizes the City’s excellence in energy conservation through energy efficient technology, operational best practices and staff engagement.
- Examples of energy projects include the installation of heat recovery systems at indoor pools and solar water heating systems at outdoor pools. Other projects include light-emitting diode (LED) lighting retrofit in six facilities and cold water resurfacing systems among others.
- The Living City Energy Efficiency Gold Award for City Hall – awarded by the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA)
- For the third consecutive year, Mississauga’s Civic Centre was named the winner. This award recognizes leadership in sustaining a high level of energy and environmental performance at City Hall.
- Since winning the Town Hall Challenge in 2015, the City continued monitoring the Civic Centre’s operation systems. City staff adjusted the controls and schedules of its heating, ventilation and air conditioning ( HVAC) units and lighting based on function, use and other changes in the building.
- Energy Manager Award – awarded by the Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO)
- This award recognizes the effort and dedication that the City has shown to create a more sustainable and energy efficient workplace.
City of Mississauga Recognized for its Leadership on Energy Conservation and Innovation
Permanent link to this article: http://www.georgecarlson.ca/city-of-mississauga-recognized-for-its-leadership-on-energy-conservation-and-innovation/