The Region of Peel advises residents that the spring garbage exemption period is suspended in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, to minimize manual collection and ensure worker safety, while maintaining services for the long term. Reminders:
- Bulky items will not be collected from the curb or accepted at CRCs.
- Up to 2 extra garbage bags, without tags, are still being collected.
Placement and collection
- Put your extra garbage out on your garbage collection day. Collectors won’t pick up garbage from the curb on recycling collection days.
- Collectors might collect your cart and excess garbage at different times during the day.
- Leave your garbage cart and excess garbage at the curb until 8 p.m. If neither are collected by 8 p.m., report a missed collection.
Placing extra garbage on the curb
- Put smaller garbage items in garbage bags.
- Place larger items separately on the curb.
- Place your excess garbage next to your garbage cart. Leave 1 m (3 ft.) of space between the excess garbage and the cart.
Excess garbage bag weight and size limitsA garbage bag placed at the curb for collection cannot:
- Weigh more than 20 kg (44 lbs).
- Be larger than 66 cm (26 in) wide and 90 cm (35 in) high.
- Be smaller than 30 cm (12 in) wide and 30 cm (12 in) high.
If residents must leave their home to dispose of extra garbage bags, residents can take it to any Peel Community Recycling Centre. Check the Community Recycling Centre for locations, hours of operation and free drop-off weight limits. Residents are encouraged to check peelregion.ca/waste for information or sign up to receive free weekly waste collection reminders.