↑ Return to FAQs

Print this Page

By-law Enforcement Issues


Q. My neighbour’s dog barks all the time. What can I do?

A. Excessive noise caused by a barking dog is contrary to the City of Mississauga Noise By-law 360-79. Call 3-1-1 for more information.

Q. My neighbours make a lot of noise with stereos, etc. Is there anything I can do?

A. The City of Mississauga Noise Control By-law No. 360-79 prohibits the playing of loud music or amplified sound between 5 p.m. of one day and 7 a.m. of the following day (9 a.m. on Sundays)


Q. Can I park a car on the part of a driveway between the sidewalk and the road?

A. No. This is City land and unless a specific by-law is in place permitting lower driveway boulevard parking, you may not park a vehicle there. For more information contact 3-1-1.

Q. Can I park my car overnight on my street?

A. There is a 3-hour parking time limit on all City roads unless posted otherwise.

Q. If I have company staying overnight, will they get a ticket if they park on the street?

A. You can request a Parking Consideration for visitors. This can be for overnight or for several days in special circumstances. Call 3-1-1 during the day and (905) 615-3000 after hours.

Q. Are school buses allowed to park on residential driveways?

A. The City of Mississauga Zoning By-laws contain provisions restricting the parking of commercial motor vehicles in residential zones. In some instances, smaller commercial motor vehicles may be parked on a residential driveway. To determine the maximum permitted weight, length or height of a commercial motor vehicle in a residential zone, you should contact the City’s Zoning Plans Examination Section at 905-615-3200 ext. 5511.

Q. Are we allowed to park boats or trailers on driveways?

A. Under certain circumstances, yes. There are many restrictions governing the storage of boats and trailers. Before planning to store a boat or trailer on your property please check for by-law restrictions and prohibitions with the City’s Zoning Section at 905-615-3200 ext. 5511.


Q. How high can I make my fence?

A. The maximum height for a fence cannot exceed 2 metres (6 ft. 7 in) above effective ground level.

Q. My neighbour leaves junk all over his property. Is this allowed?

A. No. The City of Mississauga prohibits the storage of refuse or debris on private property.


Q. Are residents allowed to do car repairs on their driveway?

A. Major automotive repairs are prohibited in Residential Zones (By-law 5500). Residents may change the oil, tires and batteries of their own vehicles.

Permanent link to this article: http://www.georgecarlson.ca/links/faqs/by-law-enforcement-issues/