In keeping with the Government of Ontario’s Planning Act , the Region must update its Official Plan every 5 years. This mandatory update ensures that official plan policies stay current with Provincial plan and policy changes. Peel 2041 is the current Regional Official Plan review.
The Region of Peel must also conduct a Municipal Comprehensive Review. A Municipal Comprehensive Review (MCR) is a process required under the 2019 A Place to Grow Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe and Provincial Policy Statement. It ensures that Official Plans conform with provincial plans and policies. An MCR results in a new official plan or official plan amendment which is submitted to the Province for approval.
By 2041, the Region is expected to be home to nearly 2 million residents and 1 million jobs. The Regional Official Plan Review process will:
- Incorporate new provincial legislation, regulations and policies.
- Implement new regional policy initiatives and plans. Have a meaningful community engagement process.
- Guide growth and development within the Region to the year 2041.
The first set of draft policy changes are available for public consultation. The public consultation for Mississauga is as follows:
Mississauga Open House
Tues. Mar. 3, 2020
4:30 – 7:30 p.m.
Central Library –
301 Burnhamthorpe Rd. W., Mississauga
Draft policies, related mapping updates and supporting studies to the Regional Official Plan will be available for the following areas:
- Agricultural and Rural Systems
- Climate Change
- Provincial Greenbelt Plans Conformity (includes the Greenbelt Plan, Oak Ridges Moraine Conservation Plan, and Niagara Escarpment Plan)
- Water Resources
- Wildland Fire Hazards
Regional staff will also provide the latest information and status of other Peel 2041 focus area policy work including:
- Aggregate Resources
- Greenlands System
- Growth Management
- Major Transit Station Areas
- Settlement Area Boundary Expansion (including Draft Focus Study Area Mapping)
For more information about the Peel 2041 Official Plan Review, please visit www.peelregion.ca/officialplan/review/.